04 February 2009

Take courage, Dear Hearts


All may not be lost for those dying to see Reepicheep in his coracle, or the beyond-scary island where dreams come true, or boys with greedy dragonish thoughts in their hearts.

According to Variety, Fox has rescued the 'Narnia franchise' (somehow I hate that term) and is on board to produce The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

Dawn Treader
has one of my favourite opening lines ever:

'There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.'

(I don't have the book in front of me, so if I'm marginally off, forgive.)

Any other opening lines that people are in love with?

5 comments:

Penni Russon said...

"Old Granny Greengrass had her finger chopped off in the butcher's when she was buying a leg of lamb."
The Peppermint Pig, Nina Bawden.

"I ought to tell you at the beginning that I am not quite normal having had a violent experience at the age of nine."
A Long Way from Verona, Jane Gardam

lili said...

'Where's Papa going with that Ax?' Fern asked her mother.
Charlotte's Web, EB White

The Alien Onions said...

Would you look at that, two pig books. Interesting.

Penni - The Peppermint Pig! I have not read that in approximately a thousand years. I must get hold of a copy.

Lili - Oh yes! I had completely forgotten the beginning of Charlotte's Web - genius. It also has a great last line. Although, given our line of work, we might be more fortunate in this regard than many.

'It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.'


--Susannah

Anonymous said...

Nothing beats that Dawn Treader opener, wow! But here's one of my favs.

On these cloudy days Robert Neville was never sure when sunset came, and sometimes they were in the streets before he could get back.

I Am Legend, by Richard Matherson.

A latte beckons said...

"Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents," sighed Jo.
That's one that always stuck in my dismayed childish mind.

(Little Women - again, I'm relying on memory)